Energy, Climate Protection and Air Pollution Control
Energy Research at IZT
The use of energy is one of the key drivers for global social and economic development. The way energy is used today goes along with negative impacts like e.g. climate change, air pollution and contamination of soil and water. Therefore, a drastic change in both consumption and production patterns is necessary. In this respect, energy and resource efficiencies need to be increased considerably. Renewable energies need to be employed on a broader scale as well as modern, efficient storage technologies.
Energy research at the IZT addresses these challenges. The focus is on the analysis of prerequisites and impacts of transformations of the energy system towards sustainability on local, regional, national and international level.
Energy research at the IZT is pursued in an interdisciplinary manner. Project teams consist of members with various academic and professional backgrounds.
The spectrum of research projects embraces feasibility studies on the implementation of decentral and renewable energy technologies in existing markets, acceptance assessment of strategies and instruments for different stakeholders as well as emission modelling, monitoring and reporting.
which describe IZT competences in the fields of Energy, Climate and Air Pollution Control:
- Energy Foresight and Energy Scenarios
- Sustainable Energy Policy and Policy Instruments
- Evaluation and Assessment of Energy Research Programmes
- Sustainability Assessment and optimisation of energy systems and their components
- Energy Efficiency and Rational Use of Energy
- Renewable Energy Technologies
- Decentral Energy Systems and Energy Storage
- IT Solutions and Telematic Applications to Enhance Energy Efficiency
- Energy Efficient Buildings and Energy Related Services
- Life Cycle and Ecological Impact Assessment of Energy Technologies
- Urban and Regional Energy Management
- Acceptance of Energy Innovations
- Education and Awareness Raising
- Emission inventories, forecasts and modelling of emission reduction measures for greenhouse gases and other air pollutants
- Quality management of emission data according to IPCC and UN/ECE standards