Senior Advisor "Mobility & Urbanistics"
Fax: +49 (0) 30 80 30 88-88
- Hermann Blümel joined the IZT in July 2021 as a Senior Advisor researching issues related to the decarbonisation of transport and transformation of the transport and energy system.
- He has experience in the development of EU and national regulation, has led numerous research and demonstration projects funded by the EU, the German government and the state of Berlin, and has been a member of federal-state working groups (including the UMK and VMK), ECE working groups, the EU and European city networks.
- In between, Hermann Blümel worked as an independent consultant, for example for KfW, BMU and companies in the gas industry. In November 2018, he took over the development and management of the Energy Transition in Transport team at the Institute for Climate Protection, Energy and Mobility (IKEM), focusing on the integration of energy/climate protection and mobility.
- For 19 years, he was also responsible for all issues relating to energy, environmental and climate protection in the transport planning of the state of Berlin, including the development of several strategic-conceptual plans and responsibility for the model region and the Electromobility Showcase. This included, among other things, the first location concept for charging infrastructure and the first award of contract for the construction and operation of charging infrastructure in Germany.
- Hermann Blümel worked for about 10 years at the Federal Environment Agency (UBA) and the Federal Ministry for the Environment (BMU) and since 1992 in various Senate departments of the State of Berlin, most recently at the Senate Department for the Environment, Transport and Climate Protection (SenUVK).
- Since 1980, he has worked on numerous cross-sectional tasks in the fields of transport planning/mobility, environmental and climate protection in transport, transport technology and their political-regulatory implementation.
- After studying mechanical engineering with a focus on power and industrial machines as well as automotive engineering, Hermann Blümel gained his first professional experience as a development engineer for passenger car engines with a focus on fuel consumption and exhaust gases in the automotive industry.