Dr. Dirk Thomas
Head of Research "Mobility & Urbanistics"
Fax: +49 (0) 30 80 30 88-88
- Dr. Dirk Thomas has been Head of Research “Mobility and Urbanity” at the IZT since May 2020.
- Before working at the IZT, he worked from September 2018 to April 2020 as a research assistant at the Institute of Design Research (IDF) at the Braunschweig University of Art (HBK). His main focus was the systematic development of scenario-based future projections using social science and design research approaches in the field of aerospace.
- Previously, he worked from March 2014 to August 2018 as a research assistant at the Institute of Transportation Design (ITD) at HBK Braunschweig. As part of the accompanying social-scientific research, he dealt with shift and climate effects through pedelec use in individual transport as well as with new product and service approaches for electromobility in different life and work contexts.
- From October 2008 to April 2020, he was also a freelancer in the field of market and social research for various universities, local authority districts, and companies in the following fields: mobility, urban development and housing, education, energy, and the environment.
- From 2002 to 2008 he worked as a research assistant at the Institute of Psychology at the Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, where he received his doctorate in February 2009 in the intersection of urban sociology and environmental psychology.
- From 1996 to 2002 he studied sociology at the TU Braunschweig with political science and law as a secondary focus.
- Mozuni, M.; Thomas, D.; Wiehle, M.; Rammer, S.; Wolfgang, J. (2019): Aviation 2030-2050: A Systemic Design Approach Towards Sustainable Aviation Scenarios. In: S. Schönhals & J. Friedrichs (Hg.): Energy Transformation in Aviation – Energiewende in der Luftfahrt - Final Report. Braunschweig: TU Braunschweig – Niedersächsisches Forschungszentrum für Luftfahrt, pp. 27-40.
- Lienhop, M.; Thomas, D.; Brandies, A.; Kämper, C.; Jöhrens, J.; Helms, H. (2015): Pedelection – Verlagerungs- und Klimaeffekte durch Pedelec-Nutzung im Individualverkehr. Braunschweig: HBK Braunschweig: Institut für Transportation Design.
- Matthies, E.; Thomas, D. (2012): Sustainability-related routines in the workplace – prerequisites for successful change. In: R. Defila, A. Di Giulio & R. Kaufmann-Hayoz (Hg.): The Nature of Sustainable Consumption and How to Achieve it. Results from the Focal Topic "From Knowledge to Action – New Paths towards Sustainable Consumption". München: Oekom, pp. 211-228.
- Thomas, D.; Fuhrer, U.; Quaiser-Pohl, C. (2008): Akteure der Gentrification und ihre Ortsbindung: Eine Fragebogenstudie in einem städtischen Sanierungsgebiet in Ostdeutschland. Kölner Zeitschrift für Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie, 60 (2), pp. 340-367.